30 March 2016

The Misconception of Christians

I Am a Christian

When I say "I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean living"
I'm whispering "I was lost, but now I'm found and forgiven"

When I say "I'm a Christian"
I'm not trying to be strong
I'm professing I'm weak
And I need His strength to carry on

Once again it was made known to me that people didn't believe at first that I was a Christian, just because I made a sarcastic comment. This made me think, what is this misconception/stereotype that people have on how a Christian should behave and speak.

Does it mean I must be literally truthful and be serious in everything I say? No joke to be made (not those kind of mean jokes of course), no sacarstic comment/answers to be given? It's strange what non-christians have on me but yet it makes me think so much on my own actions and speech. What am I portraying about Christianity to them? Am I being a bad example to them?

Then again, I can argue that I'm still human and human makes mistakes. 

This never ending conclusion-less debate can never strike a balance. People will always find a loop hole to start a topic with it. Imagine if all Christians were to be unable to joke around, then, won't there be saying that we are so not fun, and soon Christians will be shunned. 

So I personally feel, it all boils down to the intention of making such comment. Is it hurting anyone or is it made during an acceptable situation of fun and laughter. Still, no matter what, there will always be some who may misunderstands and take it differently. This is where I should be aware of and watch out of my own actions and speech.

No comments: